I'm back home! It felt so good to have a change of scenery, enjoy the warmth and my friend's company. Also, I got so many post ideas for this blog so I can't wait to share them with you! I have to say that flying with Qatar Airways was a really positive experience. If you are travelling to Qatar, I highly recommend taking this airline. About this post..Previously, I wrote about my first impression on Doha and in this post I will share some interesting facts about Doha and places to visit if you are travelling in that area.
So, let’s jump right into it, shall we.
- 50 years ago only 20 000 people lived in Qatar. Nowadays there are over 2 million people living there. What a change!
- The 2022 FIFA World Cup is organised by Qatar.
- In the 1970s the country began to morph from a nation of fishermen and pearl divers to oil production and export. Since then Qatar’s economy has been boosted by growth in the oil, gas and petrochemicals industries. In fact, Qatar has a city called Ras Laffan Industrial city which is one of the biggest industrial cities in the world. However, access to this town is by invitation only.
- Because oil resources are shrinking, there is new economic development in the field of education, sports, medical and cultural tourism.
- The country’s currency is Qatar Rial. The funny thing is that there are not many coins available. The bills start from 1 QAR which is approximately 25 EURO cents.
- Qatar is one of the smallest but wealthiest countries in the world. Speaking about money.. If you think Dubai is expensive, unfortunately Doha is even more expensive. The prices has even gone up because of the blockage.
Buildings in the Pearl
Looks like Venice but this is the Pearl area.
Spice and nut shop in Souk Waqif
The Museum of Islamic Arts
Danat Quartier, The Pearl
Places to visit:
Souk Waqif: here you can find shops selling coffee, spices, gold, clothes,carpets etc.
The Museum of Islamic Arts (MIA): here you can find exhibitions and permanent galleries. I'm not a museum person but this was worth the visit!
A visit to the Pearl area is a must. Here you can find picturesque buildings and the Venice area.
Katara: this is a culture centre (exhibitions, museum, restaurants, beach)
Hop on/ hop off Doha bus: by taking this you can see the whole city
Lastly, there are many luxurious shopping Malls if you are into shopping 😁
Hope you enjoyed this,